Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Thoughts of life

If you want more than a job change, if you want more than a career change, if what you really desire is a meaningful life change… maybe it’s time you thought about changing course.

Work Should Do More Than Just Pay the Bills

How do you discover your life mission or tap into your true calling? And even if you do, how can you turn your dreams into reality? I mean, the bills are still coming in. And your family and friends will probably tell you you're out of your mind.
I began asking myself in earnest if I really believed I was meant to spend my best years commuting 2 miles a day to a stressful job. Was it midtwenty-life career crisis? Perhaps, but let me cut to the chase: As far as I'm concerned, life is too short to spend toiling at a job that pays the bills but doesn't feed your spirit.

And I'm not just saying that for effect. People who are happy with their work actually live longer. One of the factors that lead individuals into living a long life, even more important than good health habits or good genes – is work satisfaction. I mean, it makes perfect sense. Do you really think you were put on this planet to spend your weekends running around like a nut doing all the errands you have no time for during the week? Do you believe, deep inside, that your life calling revolves around performance reviews, pointless meetings, or a never ending stream of email?

It Has Been Said That the Only Real Success is Being Able to Spend Your Life in Your Own Way
I discovered that changing course is not an event — it's a process.
Although it is only a dream right now, I call it the
Steps to Escaping the Job World and Creating the Life You Really Want (this is how it would go)

On this day, I feel blessed with riches no amount of money can buy. One day I would like to work for meaning, and not money. If that were the case, I would work hard, often putting in long hours. But I also enjoy considerably more control over my time and life (not to mention being able to knock off some household chores while I wait for baby to come over or take off and go to the gym and work out). I'm not what you'd call a morning person. In the old days I used to be jarred out of bed by an alarm clock. But if I were living the life I know I was born to live, I would wake up when I wanted.
I would have a comfortable, two-minute commute from my bedroom to my home office. Iwould set my own vacation policy and, in the warmer months, I'd even have time to enjoy the summer days and long summer nights. (that are now spent in a 8X5 cell I call a cubicle)

Is Making a Meaningful Career Change Really Worth It?
Lots of people wonder whether making a major career change is worth it. After all, it's a lot easier to stay stuck, even if that means being miserable.

I'd argue it's worth every bit of effort. You've got to want it ever say something like, "I really need to get in shape" and have everybody around you nod in emphatic agreement? So why aren't you doing something about it? Chances are something else is more important to you than your goal. That might be watching TV, playing computer games, blogging(lol), myspace, or eating fatty foods, but you're making a decision that something is more important to you. Next time you make one of these statements, ask yourself how badly do you really want to achieve this goal? Do you want it badly enough to make some sacrifices in your current lifestyle? Then go for it!
Achieve it...

Don't procrastinate
My mother has all sorts of plans for weight loss. She has diet books, exercise equipment and even a gym membership. She also has plenty of reasons why she can't start right now. Procrastinating until things are just right is the surest way to failure. If you have a goal to accomplish, start now. No more excuses.

Learn from your failures
Rather than beating yourself up over past failures, learn from them. When Thomas Edison was building the light bulb the question was asked, "how do you feel knowing you failed 200 times before you got it right? Thomas Edison replied, I never failed dear boy, I just found 199 ways on how not to make a light bulb."

Acknowledge that you will slip and forgive yourself
Even the strongest of us will occasionally slip. The important thing is not let this signal the end of your efforts. Dust yourself off and get right back in the saddle as soon as you can.

Don't let other people's fear of change stop you
Change can be frightening, not just for you but for those around you who have become accustomed to you being a certain way. You may find that your friends and loved ones will try in subtle ways to sabotage your efforts. Over the past year many of my co-workers embarked on new careers when people told them not to or they should stick with it and bare it out. I am very proud of there accomplishments. Be aware that those around you may feel threatened by change. It's not that they want you to fail. They just don't know how to adjust to the changes in their own lives resulting from your success.

Get support
Sharing success, setbacks, and tips with other people who have your same goals is a good way to keep yourself motivated and on track. When you are feeling disappointed they can offer you a helping hand. When you are feeling like giving up, they can help you remember why it is you wanted to embark on your journey of change in the first place.

7 Comments:

Blogger Idea Senator said...

One of the nicest piece I have read in a long long time. Thank you.

5:10 PM  
Blogger TTD said...

sooo.. are we looking for a new job???

8:58 AM  
Blogger Guide_to_life said...

Idea: thanks for the comment
TTD: I'm always looking for a new opportunity to start again.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I need to print this out and post it LOL..so I can stop procrastinating...I'll do it tomorrow HAHAHAH sike let me stop

11:56 AM  
Blogger Guide_to_life said...

i know, i need to post it on the mirror in the bathroom and remind myself of it every morning...

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truthfully, I'm not happy with my job. But it pays the bills. But I'm in the process of a career change. Life is too short.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Enigma said...

"Don't let other people's fear of change stop you" -- no truer words. No truer words!!!

Good post...

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home